Friday, March 26, 2010

Day 85: MY DRESS!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHH.......IT IS FINALLY DONE!!!!!! My dress that I have been working on forever is finally complete!!!!!! It has taken sooooo long and I have worked soooo hard on it that it feels sooooo good to be done!!!!!!! I knew that this dress was going to take a lot of work, but I did not realize how much work it was going to take, but it was totally worth it! I now know why prom dresses and designer clothes cost so much. Not only does the fabric cost an arm and a leg, but the time you spend on one garment is ridiculous! For my dress....I spent a total of 73 hours.......can you believe that.....73 HOURS!!!! That is insanity!!! I also did spend quite a lot but it still ended up being cheaper than a prom dress you would find in a store, but the plus side is that because my teacher is such a strong believer in amazing, flawless work, my dress looks like it could possible be found in a store....well for the most part.
I am just so happy that it is finally done and it is better than I could have ever expected. it fits me perfectly, which is amazing after all the altering I had to do to the pattern. Patterns are usually made for women that are 5' 6" and since I am much taller I had to add at least 4" on all the bodice pieces and at least 5" onto the skirt!
I learned so much from this dress! I learned how to alter patterns, create my own pattern because this is actually a sleeveless dress so I had to make my own sleeve pattern, how to work with satin, how to gather, and so many other things!
I just love how the dress fits, how it looks, how it feels, the color and everything!!!!! I cannot tell you how happy I am that I have it sitting in my closet. Luckily I will get to wear it on orchestra tour and whether I get asked to prom or not....I am wearing my dress that night!!!! Here are some pictures of the entire process!

Altering the pattern pieces
Cutting the fabric
All the pieces cut out
Sewing
Sewing
Unpicking gathering stitches
Measuring the hem line
THE DRESS!!!!!!!!

In the pictures the green looks darker than it really is. It is more of a grassy green....according to the fabric label haha! Also everything but the middle bodice piece is covered in this sparkly organza overlay stuff that gives the dress that extra something! I wanted a dress that was girly but still me and the sparkly organza gave it just that!!!! I am so glad that I am finally done with this dress and I cant wait to get to wear it somewhere!

1 comment:

  1. Kristen I am SO glad you had a blast at the convention..your dress is amaZING and shows your amaZING Talent. I can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete