Saturday, March 27, 2010

Day 86: Classical Music

Today has been a pretty good day. I went to rehearsal then went phone looking and then went to mom's concert. Tonight the Salt Lake Symphony performed at Libby Gardner Hall and it was amazing. They played Mozart’s Symphony No. 41 (“Jupiter”), Elgar’s Empire March, and Respighi’s “The Pines of Rome.” It was fantastic.
The Mozart was fun to listen to and the Elgar was......so so, but the Respighi was AMAZING!!!!! If you have seen Fantasia 2000, The Pines of Rome is actually one of the small videos on there. It is the video with the flying whales. I know the video makes no sense what so ever, but the music is amazing!!!! The ending is the coolest thing I have ever heard. It is like at a quadruple forte and every string is tremeloing and the brass and woodwinds are super blowing and then there is an organ that is sitting on this huge note that vibrates the entire concert hall! If you ever need some good classical music to listen to, I would, without a doubt, recommend this piece. Ya know, I am not one who listen to classical all the time, but when I am in the right mood, I love it. Here are some of my recommendations if you ever need some good classical to listen to.

1. Pines of Rome by Respighi
2. Festival Overture by Shosakovich
3. Symphony No. 5 by Tchaikovsky (We are playing this in UYSO if you want to hear it live, are concert is on April 25th)
4. Romeo and Juliet by Tchaikovsky
5. Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus by Ralph Vaughn Williams (This theme is based on the hymn If You can Hie to Kolob)
6. Messiah by Handel
7. Gloria by Vivaldi
8. Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber
9. Fanfare for the Common Man by Aaron Copland
10. Hoedown by Aaron Copland
11. Planets by Gustav Holst (especially Jupiter and Mars)

I do love classical music and it is soooooo much fun to play! These are just some of my few favorite pieces to listen to and I have played some of them, but I would love to play them all some day before I die! I just love it so much! If you ever need any good classical music to listen to.....just give me a ring or look on the list....I hope you like them.......TOOTLES!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment